Get an insider’s view on John Stowell’s style of teaching and playing, approaching guitar chords pianistically, developing arrangements of familiar tunes that create new challenges (modulations, odd meters), use of open string voicings and voice leading in comping.
- Modulations as part of an arrangement of a familiar standard
- Odd meter interpretations of standards
- Melodic minor mode applications to introduce tensions over dominant chords
New ideas for soloing, adding new chords for comping and solo ideas, improving ability to internalize and memorize chord progressions.
Exploring Original Creations [Non-Diatonic] Class Content | John Stowell
Expand your chord vocabulary and voice leading skills, improve your ability to improvise over non-diatonic chord progressions.
14 Original Creations by John:
- “Always Sometimes”
- “Blues in J”
- “Friendly Giant”
- “Pretty Boy Floyd”
- “Rain Painting”
- “Shiffletting p1”
- “Shiffletting p2”
- “Simple Pleasures”
- “Spectrum Rescue”
- “Springfield Sonata”
- “Swedish Bingo”
- “Tapioca Time”
- “Violin Memory”
- Modern original chord melody composition
- The use of chord shapes to address improvisation over non-diatonic progressions
- Hybrid picking for chord melody articulation
In addition to enhancing your skills in chord melody and improvisation over non-diatonic, John also briefly addresses hybrid picking and the use of open strings and inner voice movement in his chord melody compositions.
- Running Time: 1hr 3 min
- 14 original song sheets created by John Stowell included.
The album "Basement Blues" contains some of John's compositions. The others are on the album entitled "Destinations".
|“Violin Memory” – Chords, performance, non-diatonic, melodic discussion.||00:18:44|
|“Simple Pleasures” – Non-diatonic, reharmonization, melody, chord arrangement discussion, and performance.||00:20:42|
|“Tapioca Time” – Performance, breakdown, non-diatonic.||00:20:47|
|Full Class + Download|
|John’s Creations – Full Video + Download||01:03:39|