Paul’s Picking Power Secrets Class Content | Paul Bollenback
Paul offers a huge range of picking approaches that have aims to help develop, stronger picking, improved coordination and getting a better sound.
He starts with an impressive demo of double-time picking demo in C minor blues which is inspiring.
The areas covered by Paul offers is impressive and more fun than reading a book on technique.
- Alternate picking with both down and upstrokes
- How to avoid getting stuck with any single picking style
- Fixed number of attacks per note (2,3,4 etc), with different stroke combinations
- Combining different note groupings
- Single vs. double time picking
- Four finger combinations without repeating
- the different feels involved with pickling / slurring / hammer-on and pull-offs.
- Playing scales in different harmonies: E.g. 3rds,
- Playing all adjacent string pairs
- Two strings exercises
- Things to be aware of left hand form
- Economy / sweep picking with different down / up strokes
- How to play fast
- Why three notes on a string is his favored approach
- string plucking borrowed from classical techniques
- Lots of pattern ideas
What I found impressive is that throughout Paul encourages the viewer to take his examples and modify them – making your own on variations.
As I followed along, I found myself not only developing new moves, but also understanding the potential for composition while practicing these techniques.
Paul demonstrates in this video various picking techniques that initially feel counter intuitive (e.g., consecutive up-up and down-down strokes), but once applied, can be develop your playing in new directions. His video has already helped me to think about my picking choices and even helped in developing lines.
[Mike Bryant – 27 March 2019]
|Full Class + Download|
|Single String Chromatic Exercise||00:03:38|
|Alternate Picking Exercise Variations||00:04:41|
|Alternate Picking Variation Used on Solo||00:02:11|
|String Crossing Picking Hand Options||00:01:49|
|Left Hand Form on 2 Strings||00:02:44|
|Different String Combinations||00:02:58|
|Correlation to Improvising||00:01:16|
|Using Different Numbers of Attack||00:03:17|
|Application on Arpeggios – BbMaj7 Arpeggio||00:02:03|
|Number of Notes Per Strings||00:02:29|
|Adding Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs||00:01:26|
|Economy Picking and Sweep Picking||00:02:04|
|Back To 2 Notes Per Strings||00:02:06|
|Right Hand Picking Movement Details||00:06:11|
|Application on Autumn Leaves and Closing Tips||00:03:11|
|Picking F Major Scale – Soundslice||00:03:55|