Part 2 of this single note-based class explores the various triplet-based rhythms that provide satisfying cross rhythms over 4/4 time. This class is packed with useful information and in-depth demonstration and explanations of the written PDF’s. The class begins with foundational rhythmic exercises using the diatonic chords in D dorian as well as the dorian scale. Emphasis is given on how to count and feel the various triplet rhythms shown.
The second section of the class uses these rhythms over two tunes:
- “There Will Never Be Another You” and
- a Bb Blues progression.
These triplet rhythms can be major road blocks that often get in the way of developing a great swing feel. Mastering these rhythms will allow the player to phrase over bar lines effortlessly. Being more aware of accents and note groupings will give one’s soloing and comping added conviction, forward motion and swing.
- 8 pages of PDF written material notated in standard notation (and TAB for guitarists)
- Running time: 45 minutes
- Grouping triplets in hemiola rhythms and other cross rhythms against 4/4 time
- The practice of correctly counting half note and quarter note triplets
- The ability to successfully play the 8th note triplet in groupings of 2, 4 and 5 notes.
Outcome from this course:
Flexibility in phrasing with all kinds of triplet rhythms with the ability to group them in various ways for maximum rhythmic tension.