The Diminished Scale In Improvisation
The diminished scale is perhaps the most fun and challenging scale used in improvising adding spice and a modern vibe to melodic lines.
Gain a thorough understanding of the diminished scale through 12 pages of exercises and discussion in this in-depth 90-minute masterclass. Harmonizing any of the 3 symmetrical diminished scales will yield 16 different triads, and 16 seventh chords!
This class looks at many of these possibilities in close detail.
- Jim Hall’s “Careful”
- Duke Ellington’s “Caravan” similar to Wes Montgomery’s classic version
- Single note and chordal resolution exercises
- Intervallic studies
- The dominant/diminished connection
- Classic sequences and patterns
- Chord/Scale Visualization techniques
- Triad usage and arpeggios
- Diminished chord functions/substitutions
- Memorization techniques
Fewer scales are as much fun and rewarding as the diminished. Get control of this valuable improvisation tool and enjoy the results!