Join Roni for his first Mike’s Master Class “Anantomy of a Tune – Be-bop Style”. Participants will learn how to identify the harmonic progressions and scales Be-bop artists use. A pre-written solo and segments from Roni’s book “Talk Jazz” will be used to exemplify the development of melodic ideas. Based on the Barry Harris Method.
This a detailed description of the workshop:
• The song How High the Moon is introduced.
• Roni will walk the participants through the harmonic progressions of the song using the approach of identifying the harmonic sentences in the song.
• The scales of these harmonic progressions (a very basic format of the song, which is used by Barry Harris as the basis from which to develop melodic ideas) are discussed.
• The concept of adding chromatic notes to the major and dominant scales is discussed. Two or three examples of phrases using this concept are given.
• The concept of important chords in the dominant scale (chords up from the 3rd, 5th or 7th) is discussed. Two or three examples of phrases using this concept are given.
• One chorus of a pre-written solo on these changes is analyzed, using the concepts we discussed.
Handouts will include:
1. A lead sheet of the song
2. A sheet with the scales
3. Excerpts from the book “Talk Jazz”, that discuss the added chromatic notes and the important chords
4. One chorus solo on How High the Moon